Thread poster: Agua
Agua
Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 30, 2004

Hello,

I am thinking of getting the software Dragon Naturally Speaking, but there are several versions of the same DNS 7.0, and I was wondering which one is the one that is commonly used by translators: Preferred, Standard, Essentials...?

Also, it says that it works with Windows-based programmes... Does it also work with Trados and other programmes like that?

Thank you very much for your information and help...
See more
Hello,

I am thinking of getting the software Dragon Naturally Speaking, but there are several versions of the same DNS 7.0, and I was wondering which one is the one that is commonly used by translators: Preferred, Standard, Essentials...?

Also, it says that it works with Windows-based programmes... Does it also work with Trados and other programmes like that?

Thank you very much for your information and help.

Regards,

Mar Rodríguez

[Edited at 2004-01-30 00:09]

[Edited at 2004-01-30 00:25]
Collapse

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 08:21
English to Estonian
+ ...
There were several positive comments on the Wordfast list Jan 30, 2004

There was quite a bit of discussion on Wordfast mailing list concerning its use in conjunction with Wordfast. I gathered that it works very well with Wordfast (so it might also work with Trados) and that Preferred seems to be the preferred edition

IIRC it also seems that non-English versions are to be preferred, as they also include English capability, while the English version is monolingual.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 00:21
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
re non-English version Jan 30, 2004

Forgive me my probably stupid question..
but do you think a non-English version with, say, the English capability turned on, will work within the English Win XP and English Office and Adobe applications?

Thank you.
Jörgen Slet wrote:
IIRC it also seems that non-English versions are to be preferred, as they also include English capability, while the English version is monolingual.

Jörgen Slet
Estonia
English to Estonian
+ ...
The platform, reportedly, does not pose limitations Jan 30, 2004

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

Forgive me my probably stupid question..
but do you think a non-English version with, say, the English capability turned on, will work within the English Win XP and English Office and Adobe applications?

Reportedly yes, but you can't reportedly use voice to control the menus of the English Office while in Russian language mode.

The discussion took place during the last few days, at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast

Ronnie Halpern
Ronnie Halpern  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:21
French to English
+ ...
Dragon with Trados Jan 30, 2004

I don't use the latest version of Dragon, so this comment may be inaccurate, but in previous versions it works with Trados, but you have to operate the Trados commands manually in the usual way. The only problem is that it does not capitalise the start of sentences, so you have to edit each segment to do this, which can become annoying.

A special enhancement of Dragon has been developped which works fully with Trados, including operating the Trados commands through Dragon, but this
... See more
I don't use the latest version of Dragon, so this comment may be inaccurate, but in previous versions it works with Trados, but you have to operate the Trados commands manually in the usual way. The only problem is that it does not capitalise the start of sentences, so you have to edit each segment to do this, which can become annoying.

A special enhancement of Dragon has been developped which works fully with Trados, including operating the Trados commands through Dragon, but this is more expensive and also needs a lot of RAM and a fast processor. If you want to know more about this, please contact me via email.

Mar Rodríguez wrote:

Hello,

Thank you very much for your information and help.

Regards,

Mar Rodríguez

[Edited at 2004-01-30 00:09]

[Edited at 2004-01-30 00:25]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Taming/Training the Dragon Jan 30, 2004

How much time did you have to spend "training" the program before it actually became profitable?

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:21
Danish to English
+ ...
Dragon Jan 30, 2004

I started using the Dragon many years ago at version 3, upgrading twice and now at 7.1. All your questions can be answered through the URLs for Scansoft.com and from an expert user named "knowbrainer". Everything you want to do with the Dragon can be programmed. The manual will show you how to program. You can get the Dragon to do whatever you want (almost) it depends on how much time you want to spend. I use the English version and have added many Danish words. The Dragon will get easier... See more
I started using the Dragon many years ago at version 3, upgrading twice and now at 7.1. All your questions can be answered through the URLs for Scansoft.com and from an expert user named "knowbrainer". Everything you want to do with the Dragon can be programmed. The manual will show you how to program. You can get the Dragon to do whatever you want (almost) it depends on how much time you want to spend. I use the English version and have added many Danish words. The Dragon will get easier and easier to use. There are many functions that you can turn on, such as capitalize the first word in a sentence, etc. I recommend you check the forum at Scansoft.com or at Knowbrainer.com site. You can join (free) at these sites and ask your questions and get expert advice. I have used the 7.1 version now for 2 years and use it with Trados among other programs.

[Edited at 2004-01-30 14:29]
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Dragon 7 Preferred Jan 30, 2004

I use Dragon 7 Preferred. It cost around £100 and is great. I believe there's a Professional version out there that allows you to work within Trados segments with ease.

As far as training the beast goes, it updates files as you work through projects and you can give it as much training as you feel necessary - the more you put in, the more you'll get out. It took me around 40 mins to set it up and work through the tutorial when I bought it - you read passages of literature etc. to i
... See more
I use Dragon 7 Preferred. It cost around £100 and is great. I believe there's a Professional version out there that allows you to work within Trados segments with ease.

As far as training the beast goes, it updates files as you work through projects and you can give it as much training as you feel necessary - the more you put in, the more you'll get out. It took me around 40 mins to set it up and work through the tutorial when I bought it - you read passages of literature etc. to it - and I was very impressed with the immediate results.

The Standard version doesn't allow you to work in Excel, use playback and do a number of other web-oriented things and the Essential version doesn't work in Outlook Express.

Hope that helps,
Amy

[Edited at 2004-01-30 17:39]
Collapse

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:21
English to Dutch
+ ...
One day - amazing Jan 30, 2004

Williamson wrote:

How much time did you have to spend "training" the program before it actually became profitable?

After less than one day, Dragon already helped me work faster than before - and I type pretty fast. Version 7 is really amazing. It takes about 5 minutes to create a voice profile and there you go. I have almost doubled my capacity since I started using Dragon, so I'm a very satisfied user!

Jörgen Slet
Estonia
English to Estonian
+ ...
There's no version for my language, unfortunately Jan 31, 2004

I wonder how well can another-language-version be adapted to my language ?

I don't think the English version would do, English is too different from Estonian. Dutch has several spelling similarities... Can I feed it huge custom dictionaries ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Type of Dragon Naturally Speaking?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »