Thread poster: Gwidon Naskrent
Gwidon Naskrent
Gwidon Naskrent  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:57
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 21, 2006

The license for SDL Trados is not transferable, IIRC, right? Does this also include buying the software for someone as a gift (in the buyer's name, not the giftee's)?

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:57
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Same with any other software Oct 21, 2006

The person who is registering the software (with name and address) during the installation process is the owner, no matter who paid for it.

Nice gift, BTW!

Gwidon Naskrent
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, it may not be Oct 21, 2006

The person who is registering the software (with name and address) during the installation process is the owner, no matter who paid for it.

So does the installation name have to match the one printed on the invoice or not? In other words, can one person buy the software and another register it (after being gifted of course)? If so, do you have to execute a donation deed to prove that the giftee is indeed the owner? What if both are close family, and local law says no deed or tax on donations is necessary?

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
No proof necessary Oct 22, 2006

A gift is a gift. However, if you don't use this software in your own office it won't be tax deductible as a business expense.

I hope I could answer your question

Regards,

Nicole

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Your legal advice Oct 22, 2006

Nicole, is your legal and tax advice good in every country in the world, for example in Poland?

I just wondered...

Gwidon Naskrent
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for a reply Oct 22, 2006

However, if you don't use this software in your own office it won't be tax deductible as a business expense.

Of course not. I don't run a company anyway, so it does not matter. But I had better get to the gist of the problem: what if the buyer is a student, who buys Trados for a reduced price, then gifts the software to another person who is not a student? Is this allowed?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
I don't think it is allowed Oct 22, 2006

Gwidon Naskrent wrote:
... what if the buyer is a student, who buys Trados for a reduced price, then gifts the software to another person who is not a student? Is this allowed?

Hi Gwidon, I don't think it is allowed, especially if the software bought for a reduced price (non-profit?) will be used for profit. As far as I know, educational software can be used by qualified educational eligible buyers for their personal, home, and school use; educational software is not licensed for use for commercial or business purposes.

For example, in case of MS Office, a copy bought by a student or teacher may be installed at up to three computers and used not only by the teacher/student him/herself, but also by the members of the household but for their personal and/or home use only; it cannot be used for gaining profit.

[Editada em 2006-10-22 09:20]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In case of doubt read the licence agreement Oct 22, 2006

You can buy Trados from another person, and the licence can be transfered AFAIK. In fact, the licence is now a file, but I´m not sure if you could pass it to anyone.
But I´m quite sure if you contact SDL Trados, they will find a solution for transferring the software.
Taking other software as examples, you can for example transfer a licence for QuarkXPress with no problem.

Now I´m quite sure, when the licence is a student/educational type you cannot use it, if you are
... See more
You can buy Trados from another person, and the licence can be transfered AFAIK. In fact, the licence is now a file, but I´m not sure if you could pass it to anyone.
But I´m quite sure if you contact SDL Trados, they will find a solution for transferring the software.
Taking other software as examples, you can for example transfer a licence for QuarkXPress with no problem.

Now I´m quite sure, when the licence is a student/educational type you cannot use it, if you are not a student. So even if the buyer was a student, you cannot take the software from him. And AFAIR SDL Trados does not offer discounts for students/eductional entities.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:57
English to Latvian
+ ...
They do Oct 22, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

at least in the Baltics they do- Trados for a student costs here about EUR 200.

http://www.mestako.lv/index.php?l=2

Uldis

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
And AFAIR SDL Trados does not offer discounts for students/eductional entities.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2006-10-22 10:41]

Gwidon Naskrent
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The catch here is... Oct 22, 2006

Jerzy is right - an educational MS Office license cannot be transferred to someone who does not qualify (if it can be transferred at all). But...

http://www.lspsoftware.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=66 offers Trados for students for about half the normal price. It does not say that there is an educational license involv
... See more
Jerzy is right - an educational MS Office license cannot be transferred to someone who does not qualify (if it can be transferred at all). But...

http://www.lspsoftware.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=66 offers Trados for students for about half the normal price. It does not say that there is an educational license involved, only a reduced price for students (valid student card required). That's why I came up with the scheme in the first place - I would never think about it regarding Office.

Of course if I phone them and explain what I want to do, they will say no. But perhaps they themselves do not realize that the license could be transferred by gift (tax consequences aside for the moment).
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Exactly - it is not intended to be passed I think Oct 22, 2006

But nevertheless, you could easilly become a student yourself, I think...

Regards
Jerzy

Gwidon Naskrent
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah, sure :) Oct 22, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But nevertheless, you could easilly become a student yourself, I think...

Great! I always wanted to study classical languages and now it's the perfect time!

But seriously, the scheme was too good to be legal - as I suspected.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is why I wondered Trados would be offered for students Oct 22, 2006

While MS Office covers functions which can be used by anyone and really good by students, Trados is a kind of commercial software adressed to a very narrow variety of users. They are not students by definition IMO.

But in case of doubt I would just let me give the licence agreement and check that - because it can easily be, that you buy the software beeing a student and use it then further when you are finished. What then?

Best
Jerzy

Michał Szcześniewski
Michał Szcześniewski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
what about... Oct 22, 2006

if a student buys this special edition and graduates in a month or so?

Is he/she still allowed to use it? Or is there any special upgrade required?

Regards,
Michał

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
No legal advice Oct 23, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

Nicole, is your legal and tax advice good in every country in the world, for example in Poland?

I just wondered...

Hi Henry, of course not. I am able to give some tax advice, based on my husbands know-how (a former IRS guy, he actually answered Gwidon's question) and valid for the US only. I don't know anything about licences regarding educational software, which wasn't the point anyway when I replied.

Best,

Nicole

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stupid question about Trados license

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »