Where does the delay after adding a new term pair come from?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Mar 16, 2012

Recognized terms are marked with a color, both in the source and target window (red and green).

After adding a new term pair, it takes a short time before the color marking is adjusted.

Where does this delay come from? What is causing it?

I am, of course, asking this because I'm interested in methods to reduce the delay .

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:09
English to French
"Refresh" needed... Mar 16, 2012

This is a very general object programming problem: when you update an object somewhere, it would be too costly to find all objects in the interface which use it and to update them... Hence, the programmer relies on the objects to "refresh" themselves once in a while (by checking all related objects, re-computing and re-displaying themselves). Of course, it takes CPU time, so there is a delay between these periodical refreshes...
If you know you have changed something and need a quicker ref
... See more
This is a very general object programming problem: when you update an object somewhere, it would be too costly to find all objects in the interface which use it and to update them... Hence, the programmer relies on the objects to "refresh" themselves once in a while (by checking all related objects, re-computing and re-displaying themselves). Of course, it takes CPU time, so there is a delay between these periodical refreshes...
If you know you have changed something and need a quicker refresh, many applications provide a "Refresh" button somewhere... or you can force a refresh by switching to another view then coming back.
I don't have Transit, so I can't help you with this specific app, but it sounds like it's just the basic problem...
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:09
German to Swedish
+ ...
Incompetence Mar 16, 2012

As a programmer, I'll say that any minor object change like the one described should be completely unnoticeable to the user. Otherwise it has been incompetently handled by the programmer.

An example of such incompetence would be if a terminology database update triggers a synchronous update of the entire source and target tree for terminology recognition purposes.

Or perhaps the termbase is a giant file that gets written out synchronously with every change...

[Be
... See more
As a programmer, I'll say that any minor object change like the one described should be completely unnoticeable to the user. Otherwise it has been incompetently handled by the programmer.

An example of such incompetence would be if a terminology database update triggers a synchronous update of the entire source and target tree for terminology recognition purposes.

Or perhaps the termbase is a giant file that gets written out synchronously with every change...

[Bearbeitet am 2012-03-16 17:51 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Terminology in RAM Mar 19, 2012

I'm not a programmer myself. Sometimes I regret that ... On most days, however, I really enjoy the fantastic job I have, playing with language and learning about state of the art technology. And even get paid for it .

What I don't understand of CAT tools like Transit and Swordfish is that they offer a very advanced database system to store terminology, causing a lot of overhead, but that they don't allow the user to pr
... See more
I'm not a programmer myself. Sometimes I regret that ... On most days, however, I really enjoy the fantastic job I have, playing with language and learning about state of the art technology. And even get paid for it .

What I don't understand of CAT tools like Transit and Swordfish is that they offer a very advanced database system to store terminology, causing a lot of overhead, but that they don't allow the user to profit from fast term recognition and/or term adding.

My second favorite CAT tool, CafeTran, does offer a simpler approach: terminology is simply saved in a tab delimited UTF-8 text file and loaded into RAM. No overhead at all.

Adding new term pairs is very fast. Making global changes in big term files is simply a matter of loading the term file in an editor, performing a Search and Replace action, saving the file, reloading it.

I can see some use for the database approach Transit offers in big companies, e.g. when the term base is connected to the parts base or to a CAD system etc.

Personally I think storing terminology in databases is too much overhead and too much ado for translators that work on their own.

I also think that relying on a third party solution like MS SQL for storing terms is in contradiction with Transit's beautiful open approach for storing TUs. I've found this openness always very attractive and future oriented. AMOF I think is more flexible than XLIFF. There is a risk for losing the synchronization of source and target files (a risk that doesn't exist in XLIFF) but the fact that you can edit all target language files in a folder or subfolder globally is so beautiful (BTW I use WildEdit for this).

So what I'd like to see is that STAR will offer a simple RAM based option to save terminology.

Han(d)s up, please!

[Bearbeitet am 2012-03-19 19:26 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where does the delay after adding a new term pair come from?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »