For VAT registered translators in the UK
Thread poster: Mark Cole
Mark Cole
Mark Cole  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:13
Polish to English
+ ...
Jan 6, 2010

You've probably already received a letter from HMRC about this, but I just thought I'd remind everyone who is registered for VAT in the UK that from 1 January 2010 you have to keep a sales list for translations you supply to VAT registered persons in the EC. I phoned HMRC to clarify a few points, and they said that you only need to include in the EC sales list jobs invoiced after 1 January 2010. You can file your sales list on line, even if you don't do your VAT return on line.

Mark Cole
Mark Cole  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:13
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
See below Jan 6, 2010

...oops, I just realised the issue has been dealt with comprehensively in John Mifsud's thread. But as far as I understood, you don't add any VAT to your invoice if you are the translator, you just let the poor person at the other end sort it out.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

For VAT registered translators in the UK

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »