Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Is translating people’s names out of date in 2022?
Tópico cartaz: Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Turquia
Local time: 03:00
Membro (2018)
italiano para turco
+ ...
bureaucracy Oct 5, 2022

Adieu wrote:

As to written Ukrainian, it uses some additional letters, lacks a couple letters from Russian, AND uses "и" for a different sound then Russian (UKR "и" = RUS "ы", RUS "и" = UKR "і").

My wife has been suffering from this name convention since her childhood. She was registered with the Russian letter "и" when she was born in Kazakhstan, but she moved to Ukraine as a child and her name was converted into Ukrainian with the letter "і" (latinized as "y"). Last year she acquired Turkish citizenship, before which she had to use the latinized "y" for all the official stuff she had to deal with. In the final phase of her application, she particularly asked (in written) for her name to be spelled with the latinized "i" and she was hoping to get rid of the "y" but they forgot it to change it. So she still has the "y" in her name. She needs to file a lawsuit for the correction but that's another hassle and we don't have the time. So she has not been able to have her name written in the correct form in any official documents since her childhood.

[Edited at 2022-10-05 12:49 GMT]

Adieu

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
inglês para indonésio
Nooooooo, what have you done? You just altered the course of history! Oct 5, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Let’s check John

“And so my comrades, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” —Ivan F. Kennedyov, Former Leader of USSR

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 20:00
japonês para inglês
+ ...
people names Oct 5, 2022

There is the interesting example of a Japanese non-carbonated drink known as "Calpis". Introduced in 1919, the name is a combination of "calcium" and Sanskrit "sarpis" (clarified butter). In the US, it is known as Calpico for obvious reasons. Recently while watching an Israeli series on Netflix, I saw an Arab place a bottle on a desk. The Arabic lettering on the bottle was "Kalbis" (there being no "p" in Arabic) and I am sure that it was the Japanese drink. Japanese food/drink names are also a m... See more
There is the interesting example of a Japanese non-carbonated drink known as "Calpis". Introduced in 1919, the name is a combination of "calcium" and Sanskrit "sarpis" (clarified butter). In the US, it is known as Calpico for obvious reasons. Recently while watching an Israeli series on Netflix, I saw an Arab place a bottle on a desk. The Arabic lettering on the bottle was "Kalbis" (there being no "p" in Arabic) and I am sure that it was the Japanese drink. Japanese food/drink names are also a minefield. "Pocky" is a stick-like confection sometimes enrobed in yoghurt. There are many others, but in the interest of good taste and decorum, I shall stop here.Collapse

expressisverbis

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
ucraniano para inglês
+ ...
Why, though? Oct 5, 2022

What's wrong with Calpis? It's not like it's Codpis or Cowpis.

Calpico, otoh, sounds faux-Mexican or faux-Italian. I would be deeply surprised if I bought something called Calpico and it turned out to be Japanese.

Also, wouldn't it be more like Karupisu anyway? Native Japanese-only speakers aren't known for ability to pronounce "L", double consonants, or words ending in "S" without a vowel.

Michael Newton wrote:

There is the interesting example of a Japanese non-carbonated drink known as "Calpis". Introduced in 1919, the name is a combination of "calcium" and Sanskrit "sarpis" (clarified butter). In the US, it is known as Calpico for obvious reasons. Recently while watching an Israeli series on Netflix, I saw an Arab place a bottle on a desk. The Arabic lettering on the bottle was "Kalbis" (there being no "p" in Arabic) and I am sure that it was the Japanese drink. Japanese food/drink names are also a minefield. "Pocky" is a stick-like confection sometimes enrobed in yoghurt. There are many others, but in the interest of good taste and decorum, I shall stop here.

expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:00
Membro (2007)
inglês para português
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
According to Wikipedia Oct 5, 2022

Adieu wrote:

Calpico, otoh, sounds faux-Mexican or faux-Italian. I would be deeply surprised if I bought something called Calpico and it turned out to be Japanese.

Also, wouldn't it be more like Karupisu anyway? Native Japanese-only speakers aren't known for ability to pronounce "L", double consonants, or words ending in "S" without a vowel.

Michael Newton wrote:

There is the interesting example of a Japanese non-carbonated drink known as "Calpis". Introduced in 1919, the name is a combination of "calcium" and Sanskrit "sarpis" (clarified butter). In the US, it is known as Calpico for obvious reasons. Recently while watching an Israeli series on Netflix, I saw an Arab place a bottle on a desk. The Arabic lettering on the bottle was "Kalbis" (there being no "p" in Arabic) and I am sure that it was the Japanese drink. Japanese food/drink names are also a minefield. "Pocky" is a stick-like confection sometimes enrobed in yoghurt. There are many others, but in the interest of good taste and decorum, I shall stop here.

This alteration to the name ensures that any unintended associations with the English slang word for urine ("piss") are avoided.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calpis

expressisverbis

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
inglês para indonésio
Unfortunate Oct 5, 2022

Adieu wrote:

Calpis may also sound like Cal's piss, which is just as unfortunate.

And yet we still call that damn planet Uranus.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Membro (2015)
inglês para português
+ ...
'Calpis' Oct 5, 2022

Using 'Calpico' in the US could be also a way of avoiding the pronunciation "cow piss".
I'm glad that is 'kalbis' in Arabic, because 'kalb' means dog, which is also an insult among Arabs.
So, 'ibn al kalb' (son of a dog) to that Japanese drink, after what I read in urban dictionary.

[Edited at 2022-10-05 16:23 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
inglês para indonésio
Calpico Oct 5, 2022

Interestingly, it's also sold as Calpico in Indonesia, despite the original name bears no meaning whatsoever in our culture. The company's name itself is still registered as Calpis (stylized as CALPIS). If someone knows the reason for this, please do enlighten me.

Anyway, why is the discussion turned into brand names? I thought this thread was originally about people's names?

[Edited at 2022-10-05 16:45 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
japonês para inglês
+ ...
people's names Oct 5, 2022

The name of the drink in Japan is printed in Roman letters as "Calpis" but pronounced "karupisu". Calpis is more ubiquitous in Japan than the katakana rendering.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 03:00
inglês para russo
+ ...
Another example Oct 5, 2022

They sell laundry detergent in pods. One company decided to just copycat this word in Russian for a series of commercials. A pod became a pot, pods became pots: there's nothing you can do to prevent endings from getting muffled in our language (I noticed the same effect when Germans spoke English). The former word means sweat, the latter is a rendering of a Yiddish word, which is rendered in English as putz. I wonder if anyone (except for the folks who created the commercials) is so superficial ... See more
They sell laundry detergent in pods. One company decided to just copycat this word in Russian for a series of commercials. A pod became a pot, pods became pots: there's nothing you can do to prevent endings from getting muffled in our language (I noticed the same effect when Germans spoke English). The former word means sweat, the latter is a rendering of a Yiddish word, which is rendered in English as putz. I wonder if anyone (except for the folks who created the commercials) is so superficial and naive as to take the whole thing at face valueCollapse

finnword1
finnword1
Estados Unidos
inglês para finlandês
+ ...
Product names can be problematic Oct 6, 2022

In Finnish the Peruvian pisco brand Kusi means urine and the Italian coffee brand Paskà means poop.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Membro (2007)
inglês para português
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Well... Oct 6, 2022

Mr. Satan wrote:

Adieu wrote:

Calpis may also sound like Cal's piss, which is just as unfortunate.

And yet we still call that damn planet Uranus.

First of all, Uranus was discovered in the 18th century and even today astronomers and scientists in general don’t pay too much attention to these things as advertisers do…

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
inglês para indonésio
Fun Oct 6, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

and even today astronomers and scientists in general don’t pay too much attention to these things as advertisers do…

If only you knew how much entertainment they had when this planet’s name came up in scientific discussions. Welp, I’m glad at least they are having fun doing their jobs. Unlike some translators I could mention. :^)

Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
inglês para letão
+ ...
it's all about phonemes Oct 8, 2022

P.L.F. Persio wrote:

In Putin, it's slightly palatized because it's followed by "i" (и), but when I hear Russians speaking, I hear Putin, not Puchin, Putsin, or what have you.

Because in your language unpalatalized t and palatalized t is the same phoneme. Not so in my native language therefore I hear the difference.

I am not so sure even about the Russian if it is the same phoneme for them. Some linguists think that the actual difference between ти and ты is really not about [i] and [ɨ] but the consonant.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
ucraniano para inglês
+ ...
Concerning that one guy Oct 9, 2022

The thing with Russian is it actually has two consonant-modifier letters, soft sign "ь" and hard sign "ъ". However, their use is limited and they don't always appear where the pronunciation suggests they would be.

Ь typically only appears between consonants or at the end of a word, while reforms have all but dropped Ъ except a few exceptions where it is especially emphatic.

That guy's name, Путин, is generally pronounced as if it had been Путь-ин.

Kaspars Melkis

Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is translating people’s names out of date in 2022?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »