Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >
Should the KudoZ points system be abolished?
Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:06
Chinese to English
Keep the points Feb 8, 2013

As the others have said, points have a useful function.

Kudoz doesn't work very well in my pair because an awful lot of answerers are clueless. But it's better than nothing, and the principle of helping each other (as opposed to just competing) is a very good one.

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
I'd like to see it abolished Feb 8, 2013

I'd like to see a system more like a discussion forum where people could go and actually discuss the terms they are having trouble with in a non-competitive atmosphere.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:06
Hebrew to English
Part of the problem.... Feb 8, 2013

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
In fact, if the world were full of people who're happy to give away valuable information for nothing,

*Emphasis is mine.

And this is what can skew the directories. KudoZ is meant to be for "tough terms.

(KudoZ™ provides ProZ.com users a way to offer each other, and guests, free assistance in translating tough terms.)

However, much of what I see is easy questions with obvious answers. Resulting in pretty worthless information (well, I certainly wouldn't call it "valuable"). The problem with the current system is that there are a lot of people willing to give away a lot of this worthless information (available in any half-decent bilingual dictionary), thereby climbing the rankings and rather defeating the whole premise of KudoZ.

In some pairs, it's gotten so bad that "KudoZ" practically collocates with "joke".

Abolishing the points is perhaps a step too far, but something needs to be done, an overhaul of some sort, if it is to (re?)gain credibility (and value!).

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Useful function Feb 8, 2013

Phil Hand wrote:

As the others have said, points have a useful function.

So if I understand correctly, from what has been put forward so far, the main useful function of the points system is to increase one’s directory ranking? To which my next question would be: Do we really think ranking so-called “professionals” sends the right message? Should one’s competence really be measured by answering often the simplest of terminology questions, paying to be a member or even passing a test of no more than "adequacy" to become a Certified Pro?
Personally, no I don’t need a reward. Yes, I have posted questions on KudoZ and aim always to put in more than I take out, but I actually prefer helping colleagues on other sites where there are no rewards at all but instead intelligent discussion of a particularly difficult term, no race to the finish line, no “right” or “most helpful” answers and where people contribute (yes, on a 100% altruistic basis) as and when they have the time to put in or spot a term in a subject area they know well. Curiously, these systems do not engender abuse either. Is there a link?

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Other sites Feb 8, 2013

I see the IoL's directory is simply in reverse alphabetical order and everybody is on the same page (even for the most popular language combinations).

I can't discern any rhyme or reason from the order of the ITI directory, although ITI-assessed come before the non-assessed (but again all on the same page).

Now, I know this site is not exactly a professional association, but it's interesting to see that the ProZ way is not the only way.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably not Feb 8, 2013

Should it be abolished? - Meh, it's harmless enough and IMO makes it more fun.

Do people feel they need to be rewarded for helping others? - Possibly, but whatever the case, I think a reward is always nice.

Is there one "right" answer? - Er... sometimes, but not every time.

Does the points system encourage people to rush and provide incorrect answers in areas they actually know nothing about, or answers that they haven't actually thought through or researc
... See more
Should it be abolished? - Meh, it's harmless enough and IMO makes it more fun.

Do people feel they need to be rewarded for helping others? - Possibly, but whatever the case, I think a reward is always nice.

Is there one "right" answer? - Er... sometimes, but not every time.

Does the points system encourage people to rush and provide incorrect answers in areas they actually know nothing about, or answers that they haven't actually thought through or researched? - Er... Possibly, but hey, you can always have a laugh at some of the howlers, or bask in your superior knowledge if you happen to know the right one.

Does it encourage an overly competitive spirit that can be damaging to the system? -Possibly, but a leopard can't change its spots and the system is far from perfect anyway. Besides, I thought competition was supposed to be "a good thing". I don't really feel that a bit of lexical jousting merits throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

[Edited at 2013-02-08 20:36 GMT]
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Traffic, traffic, traffic Feb 8, 2013

First and foremost, the site thrives on traffic.

Abolishing points would IMO lead to a reduction in traffic; fewer people would participate. A nice side effect might be that the quality would rise, but that's not one of the site's priorities. And that's actually okay and legitimate. (I just wish they didn't claim to be "serving professionals". Proz is interested in quantity, and unprofessionals GREATLY outnumber the professionals, so who do you think Proz will try to satisfy? If fo
... See more
First and foremost, the site thrives on traffic.

Abolishing points would IMO lead to a reduction in traffic; fewer people would participate. A nice side effect might be that the quality would rise, but that's not one of the site's priorities. And that's actually okay and legitimate. (I just wish they didn't claim to be "serving professionals". Proz is interested in quantity, and unprofessionals GREATLY outnumber the professionals, so who do you think Proz will try to satisfy? If for every disappointed pro who leaves, 10 cowboys join...?)

Just accept the Kudoz arena, and Proz in general, for what they are: a meeting place where a few professional translators hang out.

I think you can re-discuss and re-rehash "points abolishment" until the cows come home - nothing will be done about it. At least, I'd be very surprised.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It is what it is Feb 8, 2013

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

So... Ihe main useful function of the points system is to increase one’s directory ranking?- Not in my case. Ranking schmanking, I just get a kick out of scoring points. (I also occasionally play online poker in my spare time for dummy points but wouldn't do it for real money. The ersatz risk makes it somehow more interesting.)

Do we really think ranking so-called “professionals” sends the right message? - Probably not, but what is the "right message"? In fact, what is the message?

Should one’s competence really be measured by answering often the simplest of terminology questions, paying to be a member or even passing a test of no more than "adequacy" to become a Certified Pro? - Er... probably not. I've just renewed my paying membership simply to be able to peruse job ads that 99% of the time I'm not going to be interested in. And to avoid having to wait for my posts to be vetted.

Curiously, these systems do not engender abuse either. Is there a link? - Probably; to err is human...

Charles Milton Ling
Charles Milton Ling
English to German
+ ...
A newbie reading this discussion in sad wonderment Feb 8, 2013

Greetings to all!

I have only recently become a member here. I am now looking at all kinds of stuff all over the place (to put it colloquially).

I naturally also found out about KudoZ. It seemed to me that this was a really great idea: everybody helps everybody, everybody learns. I am (yes) truly saddened to hear that this idea, so great in theory, has become corrupted in practice. A self-perpetuating glossary with a high nonsense content is an utter waste of time, or e
... See more
Greetings to all!

I have only recently become a member here. I am now looking at all kinds of stuff all over the place (to put it colloquially).

I naturally also found out about KudoZ. It seemed to me that this was a really great idea: everybody helps everybody, everybody learns. I am (yes) truly saddened to hear that this idea, so great in theory, has become corrupted in practice. A self-perpetuating glossary with a high nonsense content is an utter waste of time, or even a danger for less experienced colleagues. I would have thought that we are all in the same boat and that we all use our oars wisely when the boat needs it.

At my age (59), I probably should no longer suffer from disillusions. But I do.

Best wishes to all,
Charley
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:06
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
"Not for points" questions Feb 8, 2013

Since some users believe that the awarding of KudoZ points detracts from the KudoZ experience, it is possible for them to make their question "not for points". KudoZ points can not be earned by answering such questions.

This option has been around for a long time and it is not frequently used. If you browse this forum you will find thr
... See more
Since some users believe that the awarding of KudoZ points detracts from the KudoZ experience, it is possible for them to make their question "not for points". KudoZ points can not be earned by answering such questions.

This option has been around for a long time and it is not frequently used. If you browse this forum you will find threads like this one and this one that ask for the removal of this option.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
You just need to be careful Feb 8, 2013

Personally I enjoy the system. It's good to be able to relax for a few minutes without completely switching off, and I enjoy the learning experience. And if I'm awarded a few KudoZ points now and again, well, all the better! Yes, I've seen occasions when the 'wrong' answer was chosen and I felt like making a comment, but I'm afraid I just ignore it.

In regard to using the term search, I think that if you 'get to know' fellow translators through their answers and other people's com
... See more
Personally I enjoy the system. It's good to be able to relax for a few minutes without completely switching off, and I enjoy the learning experience. And if I'm awarded a few KudoZ points now and again, well, all the better! Yes, I've seen occasions when the 'wrong' answer was chosen and I felt like making a comment, but I'm afraid I just ignore it.

In regard to using the term search, I think that if you 'get to know' fellow translators through their answers and other people's comments, then you know which answers you can trust.

And lastly, I'm not one of those people who uses the first answer that appears. Before I use an unfamiliar term, I double-check on other websites, dictionaries, etc.
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
How about removing the Browniz points given for adding terms to glossaries? Feb 9, 2013

In my language pair (English/Danish), it seems to me that the vast majority of the questions asked at KudoZ are completely context-related, which means that the answers are rarely suitable as glossary entries. Yet, an awful lot of answers are immediately entered into glossaries without being verified in any further way. That, surely, means that the glossaries become a complete jumble of nonsensical entries. I have never found any help whatsoever in the glossaries, and would never for a minute re... See more
In my language pair (English/Danish), it seems to me that the vast majority of the questions asked at KudoZ are completely context-related, which means that the answers are rarely suitable as glossary entries. Yet, an awful lot of answers are immediately entered into glossaries without being verified in any further way. That, surely, means that the glossaries become a complete jumble of nonsensical entries. I have never found any help whatsoever in the glossaries, and would never for a minute rely on any information found there. I am very surprised to see quite a few people here (and on the recent Forum posting celebrating the 3M KudoZ questions) speak so enthusiastically about the wonderful help they find in the glossaries.

[Edited at 2013-02-09 08:38 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Statistics Feb 9, 2013

Up to this point:
- No 15
- Yes 9
- Indifferent/undefined 7

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I completely disagree Feb 9, 2013

Sheila Wilson wrote:
So, could we do something with "disagrees", perhaps? Could we actually deduct points for disagrees?

Sorry Sheila, but this would punish us when we mark an answer as completely mistaken, effectively punishing us for helping the community avoid ridiculousness.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Feb 9, 2013

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:
So, could we do something with "disagrees", perhaps? Could we actually deduct points for disagrees?

Sorry Sheila, but this would punish us when we mark an answer as completely mistaken, effectively punishing us for helping the community avoid ridiculousness.

I don't think Sheila is proposing that the points be deducted from the person who disagrees but rather from the person who is being disagreed with.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should the KudoZ points system be abolished?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »