Thread poster: Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
Local time: 08:13
English
Jan 27, 2006

Japanese forum goers,

I have developed a combination of code and settings that will allow English, Shift JIS and EUC-JP encodings to be viewed properly within the same page. So far testing has been successful, but since I can't actually read Japanese myself I need some volounteers to assist me in determining how well the system works in practice.

If you'd like to try this out for me, all you need to do is reply to this topic and I will take care of the details myself.
... See more
Japanese forum goers,

I have developed a combination of code and settings that will allow English, Shift JIS and EUC-JP encodings to be viewed properly within the same page. So far testing has been successful, but since I can't actually read Japanese myself I need some volounteers to assist me in determining how well the system works in practice.

If you'd like to try this out for me, all you need to do is reply to this topic and I will take care of the details myself. As long as your broswer will accept the character encoding type specified by the page, you won't actually have to change anything yourself and it should work automatically. You also need a browser that contains support for the UTF-8 character encoding.

It is a simple process to remove these settings once they have been made, so if anything does go wrong there won't be any problems reverting back to normal.

Let me know if you're interested and we can start right away.

Best regards,
Andrew Wright
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:13
Japanese to English
Count me in!!! Jan 27, 2006

Andrew Wright wrote:
Let me know if you're interested and we can start right away.

Yes, please!
...And thanks for trying to resolve this issue!

Kathy

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Added Jan 27, 2006

KathyT wrote:

Yes, please!
...And thanks for trying to resolve this issue!

Kathy

Thanks for the interest Kathy.

I've added you to the list, so the settings should be on for you now. If you see any garbled text, double check that your browser is set to unicode (it should be automatically since you're on the list). You'll also notice that the encoding of a portion of text is listed in parenthesis at the end of the text, if you see any encodings that appear to be incorrectly detected let me know.

Andrew Wright
ProZ.com Staff

mstkwasa
mstkwasa
Local time: 13:13
English to Japanese
+ ...
Me too! Jan 27, 2006

This sounds great! Please add me into this scheme. Many thanks!

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
One more here Jan 28, 2006

I would like to try - although in my case in addition to Japanese, and English, I often use Eastern European encoding, but let's see what happens.
Katalin

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Two more Jan 30, 2006

Ok, I've added mstkwasa and Katalin to the list. Sorry for having to make you wait all weekend.

Andrew Wright
ProZ.com Staff

Masami Matsuyuki
Masami Matsuyuki
English to Japanese
+ ...
Count me in Jan 31, 2006

I'll be happy to be a volunteer if you still need one.

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 21:13
English to Japanese
+ ...
i would be ready to test Jan 31, 2006

I know we, including myself of course, have been annoyed by that problem for the past years. We have already brought up this issue many months ago, pointing out certain characteristics of encoding resulting in garbled Japanese characters.

Wish I would help in a useful way. Will be ready to test.

Regards,
Minoru Kuwahara
mulberryfield

Masami Matsuyuki
Masami Matsuyuki
English to Japanese
+ ...
So is this already working? Feb 1, 2006

I see no garbled text on the list of topics of this forum! Can KodoZ be fixed in the same way?

mstkwasa
mstkwasa
Local time: 13:13
English to Japanese
+ ...
Thanks! Feb 1, 2006

Thank you Andrew - it is working marvellously throughout the site as far as I can see (the home/start page, KudoZ, Forums).

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Rest of the site Feb 1, 2006

Unfortunately doing the same thing for this forum in other areas of the site, specifically KudoZ is not as easy of a task.

What we tested here in this forum was a process of determining the character set used for each topic and post and using that to convert the text to Unicode before it reached your browser. This method allowed us to use unicode for all future posts without having to go through a manual conversion process for all the old EUC-JP and SJIS posts. Unfortunately aft
... See more
Unfortunately doing the same thing for this forum in other areas of the site, specifically KudoZ is not as easy of a task.

What we tested here in this forum was a process of determining the character set used for each topic and post and using that to convert the text to Unicode before it reached your browser. This method allowed us to use unicode for all future posts without having to go through a manual conversion process for all the old EUC-JP and SJIS posts. Unfortunately after some testing I've found that the character set detection is only effective enough to tell the difference between the Japanese character sets.

What this means is that other areas of the site that use more languages than just Japanese and English can't have their old content converted on the fly. Once Unicode is implemented in these places all future posts will by default be in unicode and there won't be any encoding issues.

So to remedy this I am currently working on a tool to allow users to help us convert old data to unicode. This should be done fairly soon and our migration can continue in earnest.
Collapse

Masami Matsuyuki
Masami Matsuyuki
English to Japanese
+ ...
Wow Feb 1, 2006

Andrew, thank you for your great job!

Chandrasekaran Rangaraj
Chandrasekaran Rangaraj
India
Local time: 17:43
English to Japanese
+ ...
Mijibake coding Feb 4, 2006

I have faced difficulty in reading Japanese characters which encounters Mijibake coding. I also would like to volunteer for the program Character set testing, if i am not joining the tese too late.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Something is messed up pretty good now Feb 4, 2006

Andrew,
I don't know what is going on, but if I go to any topics in the Japanese forum that has Japanese text posted (either in the title or inside the body of the posting), I simply cannot see ANYTHING there. No garbled characters, just empty space.
The encoding is automatically set to Unicode, when I check it in my browser (I use Netscape), and even if I manually switch to any of the Japanese encoding settings, I still cannot see anything.
If this has to do with setting you m
... See more
Andrew,
I don't know what is going on, but if I go to any topics in the Japanese forum that has Japanese text posted (either in the title or inside the body of the posting), I simply cannot see ANYTHING there. No garbled characters, just empty space.
The encoding is automatically set to Unicode, when I check it in my browser (I use Netscape), and even if I manually switch to any of the Japanese encoding settings, I still cannot see anything.
If this has to do with setting you made to my account, please reset them, as I cannot read anything that I used to be able to read.
Thanks
Katalin

P.S: I just tried the same thing with Internet Explorer, it has the same problem, so it is not the browser.

[Edited at 2006-02-04 18:23]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Character set testing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »