Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]
Announcing invoice tool updates: data export, online payment, PDF invoices, templates, more
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Maja Medic
Maja Medic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 07:58
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Tax issue Feb 22, 2009

Hi Jason,
Thank you for providing us with this extremely useful tool.
However, I have a problem creating tax amount I need for Bosnian authorities. We are all to specify 10% income tax (payable by freelancers, not clients) on our invoices - the tax being part of the actual amount to be paid by client.

Now, I've tried every possible option given, but I just can't get the amount right on the invoice - the final payable amount is either reduced or increased by 10% regardl
... See more
Hi Jason,
Thank you for providing us with this extremely useful tool.
However, I have a problem creating tax amount I need for Bosnian authorities. We are all to specify 10% income tax (payable by freelancers, not clients) on our invoices - the tax being part of the actual amount to be paid by client.

Now, I've tried every possible option given, but I just can't get the amount right on the invoice - the final payable amount is either reduced or increased by 10% regardless of which tax option I use.

Did you not include such scenario or is it just me being hopelessly confused?

thanks
Collapse

Kimberly De Haan
Kimberly De Haan  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:58
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Customising templates Feb 22, 2009

Jason Grimes wrote:

Rick Janssen wrote:
Kimberly De Haan wrote:

I've been looking at the tool and would love to try it.
However, since all my invoices need to be in French or Italian, I wanted to create custom templates. I've been looking and looking, but just can't figure out how to do this. Are there any step-by-step instructions anywhere to walk us through the creation process?
I may be just not computer literate enough, but I need help.

Thanks

It's quite easy, really.

- Go to http://www.proz.com/invoice/
- Click on 'Translate or customize invoice templates'
- Click on 'Create a new custom template'
- You can now edit your invoice. Just be sure not to change anything between && (like %invoice_num%), these fields are filled in automatically.
- Type in a template name at the top (like 'French' or 'Italian') and click 'Save template' at the bottom.

That's about it. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Rick, that's a great summary.

Kimberly, if you're still having trouble, please let me know. Invoice templates are HTML, with special placeholders embedded in them. The template editor can be a little tricky until you get used to working with it. If you're comfortable editing raw HTML code, you can also click the "source" button and edit the HTML source code directly.

In a few weeks, some pre-translated invoice templates will be made available that should make things much easier.

Thanks,

Jason

Call me stupid, but when I open the custom template window, I don't see anything I can change. I see an "Invoice number" field that I can't translate and its code, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to edit the template because I don't see any other fields.
Help?

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Could you specify notes about taxes in the invoice notes field? Feb 22, 2009

Maja Aganlic wrote:

Now, I've tried every possible option given, but I just can't get the amount right on the invoice - the final payable amount is either reduced or increased by 10% regardless of which tax option I use.

Hi Maja,

I'm not sure I understand you clearly. If you need to indicate on your invoice the amount of income tax you will pay, without this actually changing the amount charged in the invoice, could you just specify that information manually in the "invoice notes" field?

If I've misunderstood you, please post a short example of what you need your invoice to look like, and I'll try to help further.

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
French & Italian invoice templates coming this week (+ some other languages) Feb 22, 2009

Kimberly De Haan wrote:
Call me stupid, but when I open the custom template window, I don't see anything I can change. I see an "Invoice number" field that I can't translate and its code, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to edit the template because I don't see any other fields.
Help?

Hi Kimberly,

There should be an editing tool under those fields, which should show a sample invoice that you can edit in place. If you're not seeing this tool, can you tell me what web browser version and operating system you're using? This tool is written in javascript; do you know if you have trouble with other javascript features?

I'd appreciate your help troubleshooting this issue, but I may also have an easier solution for you.

Invoice templates translated into both French and Italian are scheduled for release later this week (Thursday, Feb. 26), along with a few other languages and localized number formats. If you can wait that long, you may not need to work with custom invoice templates at all.

I hope this helps.

Jason

Maja Medic
Maja Medic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 07:58
English to Bosnian
+ ...
That's it Feb 23, 2009

Jason Grimes wrote:

Hi Maja,

I'm not sure I understand you clearly. If you need to indicate on your invoice the amount of income tax you will pay, without this actually changing the amount charged in the invoice, could you just specify that information manually in the "invoice notes" field?

If I've misunderstood you, please post a short example of what you need your invoice to look like, and I'll try to help further.

Best regards,

Jason

Thank you Jason, I did not think of that option at all. That will do.

Kimberly De Haan
Kimberly De Haan  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Customising Invoices Feb 23, 2009

Jason Grimes wrote:

Kimberly De Haan wrote:
Help?

Hi Kimberly,

There should be an editing tool under those fields, which should show a sample invoice that you can edit in place. If you're not seeing this tool, can you tell me what web browser version and operating system you're using? This tool is written in javascript; do you know if you have trouble with other javascript features?

I'd appreciate your help troubleshooting this issue, but I may also have an easier solution for you.

Invoice templates translated into both French and Italian are scheduled for release later this week (Thursday, Feb. 26), along with a few other languages and localized number formats. If you can wait that long, you may not need to work with custom invoice templates at all.

I hope this helps.

Jason

Hi Jason,

I use Windows XP, and I generally use Opera 9.63 as my browser, though I've tried looking at this on IE as well, to no avail. I see nothing in the window between the line of buttons (Save, Cancel, etc.), and the window's footer.

I'll look forward to checking out the translated versions. It will likely be much simpler!

Thanks anyway for your attention,

Kim

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
browse invoices -- total Feb 25, 2009

It'd be really useful to see a sum total for the filtered invoices (default = all) on the browse invoices screen. (https://www.proz.com/invoice?sp_mode=invoices)

Also, perhaps somewhat more challenging to implement: it'd be nice to be able to import customer lists or current invoicing records from an existing spreadsheet or tab/comma delimited file. I'd like to have all my reco
... See more
It'd be really useful to see a sum total for the filtered invoices (default = all) on the browse invoices screen. (https://www.proz.com/invoice?sp_mode=invoices)

Also, perhaps somewhat more challenging to implement: it'd be nice to be able to import customer lists or current invoicing records from an existing spreadsheet or tab/comma delimited file. I'd like to have all my records for the fiscal year in one place, and having to go back and redo all my invoices, re-enter all my customer data, etc., back to Jan 1 is a little daunting.
Collapse

CMJK
CMJK
Ireland
Local time: 06:58
Member (2008)
German to English
PDF export Feb 25, 2009

Firstly, thanks to Jason et al for creating this wonderful and simple-to-use tool.

My query is about PDF export: am I doing something terribly wrong, or has this feature not yet been implemented? Whenever I export I still get a blank file. I've tried it with Firefox and IE.

(I had been working around by sending as html and then converting to PDF from inside my browser, but my mail accounts are now picking up the html and embedding it in the message so I can't easily get
... See more
Firstly, thanks to Jason et al for creating this wonderful and simple-to-use tool.

My query is about PDF export: am I doing something terribly wrong, or has this feature not yet been implemented? Whenever I export I still get a blank file. I've tried it with Firefox and IE.

(I had been working around by sending as html and then converting to PDF from inside my browser, but my mail accounts are now picking up the html and embedding it in the message so I can't easily get a hold of it for conversion.)

Less importantly, I wonder would it be possible to have a feature where the number of the last invoice sent *to that client* comes up as a reminder, instead or as well as the last global invoice? I usually give each client a code or number followed by the invoice number.

I also second Kathryn's idea of being able to sum the total currencies due etc. on open/paid/filtered invoices. This would be useful.
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
PDF export is picky about the HTML used in custom templates Feb 25, 2009

CMJK wrote:

The PDF export feature converts invoices from HTML to PDF. When an invoice uses a custom HTML template, the PDF export feature can break if it doesn't understand the HTML used in the custom template. I copied your custom template to a new version and cleaned up the HTML. Please let me know if this new custom template works for you.

I will write some better documentation for working with custom templates.

Less importantly, I wonder would it be possible to have a feature where the number of the last invoice sent *to that client* comes up as a reminder, instead or as well as the last global invoice? I usually give each client a code or number followed by the invoice number.

I also second Kathryn's idea of being able to sum the total currencies due etc. on open/paid/filtered invoices. This would be useful.

I've added these to a list of future improvements to consider. Thanks!

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestions, Kathryn Feb 25, 2009

Kathryn Litherland wrote:

Also, perhaps somewhat more challenging to implement: it'd be nice to be able to import customer lists or current invoicing records from an existing spreadsheet or tab/comma delimited file. I'd like to have all my records for the fiscal year in one place, and having to go back and redo all my invoices, re-enter all my customer data, etc., back to Jan 1 is a little daunting.

Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for the suggestions, I like both of these ideas. Right now the invoicing tool doesn't have much support for financial reports, but this seems a logical next step. Though it's not quite as simple as summing up the totals of all invoices in a list when the invoices are not all in the same currency, something can be certainly be done.

Thanks,

Jason

CMJK
CMJK
Ireland
Local time: 06:58
Member (2008)
German to English
thank you! Feb 25, 2009

Thanks Jason for your prompt help with my messy HTML - that has solved the problem (which of course lay on my side).

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Added localized invoices, email templates, re-usable items, auto-incrementing invoice numbers, etc. Feb 26, 2009

Many of the features requested in this thread have now been added to the invoicing tool, including:

• Invoice templates in 5 languages
  • Localized number formats (e.g. "1.500,00" or "1,500.00")
  • Customizable email message templates
  • Auto-incremented invoice numbers
  • Customizable invoice file names

The full release announcement is here. Please post any comments about t... See more
  • Many of the features requested in this thread have now been added to the invoicing tool, including:

• Invoice templates in 5 languages
  • Localized number formats (e.g. "1.500,00" or "1,500.00")
  • Customizable email message templates
  • Auto-incremented invoice numbers
  • Customizable invoice file names

The full release announcement is here. Please post any comments about the new features in that forum topic. Thank you all for the great suggestions so far--please keep them coming!

Thanks,

Jason ▲ Collapse

•  
    Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing invoice tool updates: data export, online payment, PDF invoices, templates, more

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »