Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:23
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
May 4, 2022

Hi all,

as this topic comes up quite regularly in my life (in form of job offers) and because I always fancied learning it, I decided I'd like to dive into interpreting (or at least dip a toe in it). I have started researching for online courses to start with, and I'd be interested to know if any of you have taken the ProZ.com & MCIS Online Language Interpreter Training Program. If yes, would you recommend it? Or do you know of other programs worth taking a look? I'd be really grate
... See more
Hi all,

as this topic comes up quite regularly in my life (in form of job offers) and because I always fancied learning it, I decided I'd like to dive into interpreting (or at least dip a toe in it). I have started researching for online courses to start with, and I'd be interested to know if any of you have taken the ProZ.com & MCIS Online Language Interpreter Training Program. If yes, would you recommend it? Or do you know of other programs worth taking a look? I'd be really grateful if someone had some advice for me. Thank you all!
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:23
German to English
It's a different skill May 4, 2022

There are at least different types of interpreting: simultaneous interpretation (SI), consecutive interpretation, and whispered interpretation. The requirement of each type depends on the environment (plant visit, business meeting, conference, etc.).

Based on my own less than satisfying experience, skills used for translating documents aren't necessarily transferable to interpretation. Based on a rate of 500 words/hour, I can translate approximate 8 words/minute, that is, roughly on
... See more
There are at least different types of interpreting: simultaneous interpretation (SI), consecutive interpretation, and whispered interpretation. The requirement of each type depends on the environment (plant visit, business meeting, conference, etc.).

Based on my own less than satisfying experience, skills used for translating documents aren't necessarily transferable to interpretation. Based on a rate of 500 words/hour, I can translate approximate 8 words/minute, that is, roughly one sentence a minute. Interpretation requires that rate for every ten seconds or less. To accomplish this takes a certain amount of intellectual energy and a lot of physical stamina.

Good luck!
Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... May 4, 2022

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Yes, I'm aware of the different types and what each of them involves, and that none of them is an easy task. But at least I'd like to get some training so I can see for myself. Simultaneous is probably something I don't think I could do, but I think I could do consecutive (I've done similar tasks before).

Remote interpreting is getting more and more popular, and I also think the demand is high (at least that is what I've read). With the rising cost of living and declining rates for translation I feel I have to "do" sth to expand my services, and I always like learning new skills. Could very well be that interpreting is not for me, but I'd like to try.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Suggestion May 4, 2022

A good first step would simply be to observe interpreters in a number of situations/settings that you are interested in working in. If, after a series of such observation sessions, you honestly believe that you can are capable of doing such work, the next step would be to get some formal training.

But first things first.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.... May 4, 2022

Robert Forstag wrote:

A good first step would simply be to observe interpreters in a number of situations/settings that you are interested in working in. If, after a series of such observation sessions, you honestly believe that you can are capable of doing such work, the next step would be to get some formal training.

But first things first.

Good idea, but these interpreters probably weren't born with this skill either and had to begin with a training, right? How could I know just from observing others if I am capable of doing this? I will only know if I can do it after I had some training, not from observing others. Just my opinion.
That's why I asked about the programs.

[Edited at 2022-05-04 16:12 GMT]

Mariane Lambert
Mariane Lambert  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
A few ideas May 5, 2022

Hi Inez,

I’ve been trying to get some interpreting training myself for the past few years.

I cannot speak to the Proz + MCIS Online Language Interpreter Training Program. It might be a good introduction to interpreting. The only thing that would dissuade me is the fact that it is only taught in English and that there are no language-specific classes.

Some years ago, I attended an info session at the MCIS in Toronto (assuming this is the same organization)
... See more
Hi Inez,

I’ve been trying to get some interpreting training myself for the past few years.

I cannot speak to the Proz + MCIS Online Language Interpreter Training Program. It might be a good introduction to interpreting. The only thing that would dissuade me is the fact that it is only taught in English and that there are no language-specific classes.

Some years ago, I attended an info session at the MCIS in Toronto (assuming this is the same organization) and looked into their training programs. They do offer online language-specific training opportunities that I had heard good feedback about, but again I don’t have any first-hand experience. You can have a look here: https://www.mcislanguages.com/programs-training/

I did attend a two-week in-person interpreting course in Germersheim in 2019. This was geared towards translators who want to start offering interpreting services. I found it very good as a general introduction. We practiced note-taking, consecutive and simultaneous interpreting, did some memory exercises, etc. Overall a great experience. I don’t know if/when they’ll be offering this short course again, but you can check their website: https://www.iris-akademie.de/index.php

I am currently completing the admission process to start an online Master of interpreting program with a Canadian university in September, but in my opinion the investment, financial and otherwise, that such an undertaking requires makes it a viable option only if you’re sure this is something you want to do in your future career.

Best of luck to you!

[Edited at 2022-05-05 15:30 GMT]
Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much for the info! May 5, 2022

Mariane Lambert wrote:

Hi Inez,

Some years ago, I attended an info session at the MCIS in Toronto (assuming this is the same organization) and looked into their training programs. They do offer online language-specific training opportunities that I had heard good feedback about, but again I don’t have any first-hand experience. You can have a look here: https://www.mcislanguages.com/programs-training/

I did attend a two-week in-person interpreting course in Germersheim in 2019. This was geared towards translators who want to start offering interpreting services. I found it very good as a general introduction. We practiced note-taking, consecutive and simultaneous interpreting, did some memory exercises, etc. Overall a great experience. I don’t know if/when they’ll be offering this short course again, but you can check their website: https://www.iris-akademie.de/index.php

I am currently completing the admission process to start an online Master of interpreting program with a Canadian university in September, but in my opinion the investment, financial and otherwise, that such an undertaking requires makes it a viable option only if you’re sure this is something you want to do in your future career.

Best of luck to you!

[Edited at 2022-05-05 15:30 GMT]

Thanks a lot, Mariane, a lot of good advice and resources to take a look at! I'm looking forward learning sth new again, no matter if I ever work in this area or not, but I like a challenge from time to time.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Hi Inez, May 7, 2022

I have been doing both for over 25 years and I can confirm that right now there is a huge demand for remote interpreting.
It depends on your specific field of specialization; interpreting does not mean only UN, EU or conferences. There are so many other social services in need of interpreting.
I never attended any interpreting classes before I started.
If you feel confident, you could try court interpreting - very interesting.
You should research the fields that are in
... See more
I have been doing both for over 25 years and I can confirm that right now there is a huge demand for remote interpreting.
It depends on your specific field of specialization; interpreting does not mean only UN, EU or conferences. There are so many other social services in need of interpreting.
You should research the fields that are in demand as well as the pay. I am more than happy for the rate I am getting paid in the US for my language pair.
I would suggest to give it a shot in a community setting/medical/car insurance/immigration. These are less demanding.

Good luck
Lee
Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the input! May 8, 2022

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

You should research the fields that are in demand as well as the pay. I am more than happy for the rate I am getting paid in the US for my language pair.
I would suggest to give it a shot in a community setting/medical/car insurance/immigration. These are less demanding.
Good luck
Lee

Hi Lee, thanks a lot for your input
I didn't think of UN, EU or such organizations anyway (even though this surely is highly interesting), but of business meetings, assessments (like the jobs I have been offerend the last few years).
But you mentioned court interpreting - can this be done remotely, too? Honestly, I'm not very keen of travelling all the time or often😁.

I have been thinking about all this for a few weeks now and my stomach tells me to get active and do a class at least. As this gut feeling hasn't vanished (which is does really fast when something isn't for me) and I usually can rely on it, I think I will simply enroll in one of the programs and see. Other colleagues told me to just start practicing with speeches on Youtube etc. and just give it a try.

And another question: How do you get interpreting jobs? I know sometimes here interpreter jobs are posted, also on a few FB groups, but how do you get jobs for courts interpreting, to use that example? For conferences, UN, EU etc. this seems to be almost not possible, I think.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
In order to answer to your question you must know the market in Deutschland May 10, 2022

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

Good luck
Lee

Hi Lee, thanks a lot for your input
I didn't think of UN, EU or such organizations anyway (even though this surely is highly interesting), but of business meetings, assessments (like the jobs I have been offerend the last few years).
But you mentioned court interpreting - can this be done remotely, too? Honestly, I'm not very keen of travelling all the time or often😁.

I have been thinking about all this for a few weeks now and my stomach tells me to get active and do a class at least. As this gut feeling hasn't vanished (which is does really fast when something isn't for me) and I usually can rely on it, I think I will simply enroll in one of the programs and see. Other colleagues told me to just start practicing with speeches on Youtube etc. and just give it a try.

And another question: How do you get interpreting jobs? I know sometimes here interpreter jobs are posted, also on a few FB groups, but how do you get jobs for courts interpreting, to use that example? For conferences, UN, EU etc. this seems to be almost not possible, I think.

In the US, I passed a few exams and put my name on a (short) list of court interpreters.
Some cases, mostly immigration and initial hearings can be done remotely. More complex cases require some travel. You should check the rules and practices in Germany.
For medical, I work trough (serious) agencies; with a few of them I have been working for over 20 years.
Good luck
Lee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thinking about dipping my toe into interpreting

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »