Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >
Should the "P" symbol be for internal eyes only?
Thread poster: Paul Cohen
tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 22:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
directory searches Mar 16, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The "ProZ.com Certified PRO freelancers only" is so prominent due to the red badge shown and is obviously ranked higher than any professional credential status, so clients will click on it inevitably. (Psychology!)

I have not found this to be true at all. FWIW, I have a counter on my profile that lets me see exactly what criteria were used in directory searches that get to my profile. In all of the time that has passed since the "P" was added as a search criterion, not one single search that got to my profile has included it. Not a single one. (And I get a lot of visits to my profile through the directory search, but mostly because I'm fairly high up in the Kudoz ranking.)

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:35
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hi Cindy, how do you know? Mar 16, 2009

Cindy Chadd wrote:

FWIW, I have a counter on my profile that lets me see exactly what criteria were used in directory searches that get to my profile. In all of the time that has passed since the "P" was added as a search criterion, not one single search that got to my profile has included it. Not a single one.

I don't. You do have a particular setting? I wouldn't receive any information either if the search criteria were based on, say, medical translation or Kishuaheli, neither of which I can do.

TIA!

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@ Nicole Mar 16, 2009

I'm not talking about the Visitors tab; I mean the additional counter that I installed on my profile (at the bottom). I get an e-mail report every day that shows me exactly how many visits I had, and how they got to my profile. If it's a Google search, I click on the link for that entry and I see exactly what they searched for. If it's a Proz directory search, I see the exact combination of search criteria used (I get the actual search screen).

Slight threadjack here, but you might
... See more
I'm not talking about the Visitors tab; I mean the additional counter that I installed on my profile (at the bottom). I get an e-mail report every day that shows me exactly how many visits I had, and how they got to my profile. If it's a Google search, I click on the link for that entry and I see exactly what they searched for. If it's a Proz directory search, I see the exact combination of search criteria used (I get the actual search screen).

Slight threadjack here, but you might be surprised to see how many people don't bother to look for anything beyond the language pair; I'd say that around half if not more don't even specify native speaker, and forget about specific fields. (Actually, I think the optional search criterion I've seen used most frequently is location. Spanish agencies include "Spain" as a search criterion fairly often.)
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Most people without the P haven't applied? Mar 16, 2009

Henry D wrote:

To be clear, folks: most people without the P have not applied for it!

But that means that pretty much everyone who applied was awarded the "P". This can only mean that people who don't meet the standards know it and don't apply? Or can we think of another conclusion?

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Very funny, efreitag :-) Mar 16, 2009

efreitag wrote:

But that means that pretty much everyone who applied was awarded the "P". This can only mean that people who don't meet the standards know it and don't apply? Or can we think of another conclusion?

You probably have no idea how many candidates will take you by the word and won't understand the sarcasm.

Shame on you and greetings!

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
And silly me thought the P wasn't elitist Mar 16, 2009

efreitag wrote:

Henry D wrote:

So the rest of us should hang our heads in shame, pack our bags and leave the site to those who meet the standards?

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
And how did/will you check my pair? Mar 16, 2009

Dear Henry,

In Russian to Turkish Language pair there is not any so called Certified ProZ.

In such case, what did/will you do?

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hm, so I have to install something? Yay, I am always bored anyway Mar 16, 2009

Cindy Chadd wrote:

I'm not talking about the Visitors tab; I mean the additional counter that I installed on my profile (at the bottom). I get an e-mail report every day that shows me exactly how many visits I had, and how they got to my profile. If it's a Google search, I click on the link for that entry and I see exactly what they searched for. If it's a Proz directory search, I see the exact combination of search criteria used (I get the actual search screen)

Right. Extra work. No further comment.

Slight threadjack here, but you might be surprised to see how many people don't bother to look for anything beyond the language pair; I'd say that around half if not more don't even specify native speaker, and forget about specific fields.

I am sooo not interested in those.

Thanks a ton, though, Cindy!

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
All those assumptions Mar 16, 2009

efreitag wrote:

Henry D wrote:

Earlier in this thread Henry told us: "Approximately 700 paying members have applied and not been accepted."

Regards,
Gerard

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:35
SITE FOUNDER
OK, that option can be your responsibility! Mar 16, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Henry D wrote:

Can we add the following line to the search criteria for translators?

... Excellent and successful freelancers who have been too busy to apply because they are swamped with work and don't actually need any badge

Nice one! Do you want to oversee the program to screen for "Excellent and successful"?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Cindy's experience is typical Mar 16, 2009

Cindy Chadd wrote:
I have not found this to be true at all. FWIW, I have a counter on my profile that lets me see exactly what criteria were used in directory searches that get to my profile. In all of the time that has passed since the "P" was added as a search criterion, not one single search that got to my profile has included it. Not a single one. (And I get a lot of visits to my profile through the directory search, but mostly because I'm fairly high up in the Kudoz ranking.)

Good data, Cindy. Indeed, like the certification option that has been there for just about as long as ProZ.com has existed, the P is used as a search parameter by only a fraction of clients.

To what degree does a certification, or P badge, reassure a client who has arrived at your profile? That is not clear. Based on the feedback I have heard from outsourcers, what is most typical is that a variety of information is considered, and that no one parameter is relied on exclusively. A typo in your tagline, for example, may undermine a host of other credentials displayed later in the page.

Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 19:35
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's do the math Mar 16, 2009

Gerard de Noord wrote:
Earlier in this thread Henry told us: "Approximately 700 paying members have applied and not been accepted."

He also told us this:

Henry D wrote:
By the way, the most common reason that applications are not accepted is that sufficient information has not been provided or is not available.

Let's do the math. I seem to remember a thread a while back that informed us that over 1,000 people have the "P" badge. It must be more than that now. If approx. 700 have been denied, but the majority of those did not provide sufficient information, then roughly one out of every four "complete" applications is turned down.

But don't ask me to speculate on what these numbers mean.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Clarification on acceptance rate Mar 16, 2009

efreitag wrote:
Henry D wrote:

But that means that pretty much everyone who applied was awarded the "P".

No it doesn't. Out of 2200 applications, about 700 have not been accepted. In other words, about two-thirds get accepted and one-third does not.

On the other hand, there may be 60,000 - 80,000 'active' profiles today (out of about a quarter of a million ever registered, depending on how you define 'active'.) Therefore, the odds of a random profile without the P having applied and been denied are about 700/80k, or less than 1%.

Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 19:35
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Henry: What does this tell us about our potential clients? Mar 16, 2009

Henry D wrote:
...the P is used as a search parameter by only a fraction of clients.

To what degree does a certification, or P badge, reassure a client who has arrived at your profile? That is not clear. Based on the feedback I have heard from outsourcers, what is most typical is that a variety of information is considered, and that no one parameter is relied on exclusively.

Very interesting!

What does this tell us about our potential clients? Why would someone choose not to restrict their search parameters to the P badge?

Does this mean that it would currently make very little difference in terms of the actual number of profile hits for network members if the P badge were removed from the directory?

Regards,
Paul

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Signing off Mar 16, 2009

Thank you everyone for the input! There have been some great thoughts, things that Patrick and I have taken and discussed offline. As I posted in the parallel P thread, I am signing off for the time being to get some work done. Expect future updates on the program.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should the "P" symbol be for internal eyes only?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »