ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
改错 May 5, 2009

nigerose wrote:

No wreckage has been found, (no bodies, no life-belts or other evidence of disaster).

这句我想参照以下句子进行修改。不改似乎也可以,但感觉比较口语化,而原文是书面文体。

No one has been arreested so far. Neither have the bombers of the Karachi hotel in 2002,( where the New Zealand cricket team was staying), been caught.

http://www.retiredprof.com/1/post/2009/03/attack-on-sri-lankan-cricket-team.html

BTW:
Lesley: Sorry for the appearance of "New Zealand" in the sentence.

[修改时间: 2009-05-05 00:59 GMT]

无论如何,先把那一段改了再讨论。蓝色表示是你发现的。红色表示是我发现的。

One of the greatest mysteries of the world, for which scientists have so far been unable to find any satisfactory explanation, is the Bermuda Triangle, sometimes called “the Graveyard of the Atlantic”. This is an area of the Western Atlantic between Bermuda and Florida, roughly triangular in shape, where since 1845 at least a hundred ships and planes and over a thousand people have disappeared. No wreckage has been found, no bodies, no life-belts or other evidence of disaster have been found. It is as if these planes, ships and people had never existed. In some cases a routine radio message had been received from aircraft reporting everything was in order a few minutes before all contacts were lost, in others a weak SOS message was picked up and, in perfect weather, there were inexplicable references to fog and loss of bearings. In the extraordinary case of five U. S. navy planes disappearing on a routine mission from Florida, the rescue plane sent to locate them also vanished. There have been references to the curious white light which is a feature of the sea in part of this area, and it is interesting to note that not only was this white light observed by the astronauts on their way to space, but also noted by Columbus, five centuries ago. Whether this white light has any connection with the mysterious disappearances is unknown – it is just another curious circumstance unexplained.
Many theories, some bordering on the fantastic, have been advanced to account for the disturbing incidents that occur in the area of the Bermuda Triangle. It has been asked whether these disappearances are caused by extraterrestrial activity, by some undiscovered source of energy, or by some dimension of time or space incomprehensive to man. There is no answer and speculation continues as anxiety increases.

[Edited at 2009-05-05 23:54 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
严格地讲 May 5, 2009

应改为:

No wreckage has been found, and no bodies, no life-belts or other evidence of disaster have been found.

以后等 redred 公布标准答案后,我们再来讨论超出标准答案范围的那些问题。如何?

[Edited at 2009-05-05 02:59 GMT]

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:23
Chinese to English
+ ...
there were inexplicable references to fog and loss of bearings May 5, 2009

可改为:inexplicable references to fog and loss of bearings were made
或者inexplicable references were made to fog and loss of bearings

[修改时间: 2009-05-05 03:31 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
标准答案 May 5, 2009

ysun wrote:

应改为:

No wreckage has been found, and no bodies, no life-belts or other evidence of disaster have been found.

Yueyin,

I think that is exactly why this problem is not that easy - the students are asked to pick out the exact errors that match the solution key. I can see eight definite errors that are easy to spot, but the last two are tough to narrow down with so many potential candidates to choose from. BTW, I see two or three other places beside what was already pointed out that may potentially be what they are looking for - a couple of them being as trivial as the usage of punctuation marks.

I agree with all the problematic areas you and nigerose pointed out. But it is very hard to reconcile the error count to the magic number of 10. To match that number, some of the dubious usages might have to be overlooked and be considered marginally acceptable.

[Edited at 2009-05-05 13:20 GMT]

nigerose
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
可改为 May 5, 2009

ysun wrote:

应改为:

[Edited at 2009-05-05 02:59 GMT]

可改为
No wreckage has been found, neither have any bodies, life-belts or other evidence of disaster been identified.

例如:
At Wollaston, despite metal-detector surveys, no tools such as the falx vinitoria have been found, neither have any processing areas such as treading floors been identified.

http://www.articlearchives.com/manufacturing/beverage-mfg-alcoholic-beverage-wineries/176679-1.html

nigerose
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
tense May 5, 2009

wherestip wrote:

But it is very hard to reconcile the error count to the magic number of 10. To match that number, some of the dubious usages might have to be overlooked and be considered as marginally acceptable.

That is why I neglect the possible errors in tense.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
solution key May 5, 2009

nigerose wrote:

wherestip wrote:

But it is very hard to reconcile the error count to the magic number of 10. To match that number, some of the dubious usages might have to be overlooked and be considered as marginally acceptable.

That's true. I think the two dangling sentences might even be negligible.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
恐怕没有绝对的标准答案 May 5, 2009

Steve and nigerose,

很多人都说,翻译是仁者见仁,智者见智。如果比较下面两个句子:
No wreckage has been found, no bodies, no life-belts or other evidence of disaster have been found.

我后来加的那个 and,有人可能认为不加也可以,
... See more
Steve and nigerose,

很多人都说,翻译是仁者见仁,智者见智。如果比较下面两个句子:
No wreckage has been found, no bodies, no life-belts or other evidence of disaster have been found.

我后来加的那个 and,有人可能认为不加也可以,但严格讲是应该加的。所以,到底该不该加,就会有不同意见。因此,这种挑错恐怕没有绝对的标准答案。至于改错的方式,那就更多了。不过,我相信我们挑出的大部分错都是非改不可的。无论如何,这种讨论还是有益的。

[Edited at 2009-05-05 04:37 GMT]
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
你这样改当然也可以 May 5, 2009

nigerose wrote:

there were inexplicable references to fog and loss of bearings

我那样改是想尽量沿袭原文中 "There have been references to the curious white light" 的形式。

[Edited at 2009-05-05 04:45 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
讨论 May 5, 2009

ysun wrote:

nigerose wrote:

there were inexplicable references to fog and loss of bearings

我那样改是想尽量沿袭原文中 "There have been references to the curious white light" 的形式。

In this case, I think the implied complete sentence would be "... in others a weak SOS message has/had been picked up, and in perfect weather, inexplicable references to fog and loss of bearings have/had been picked up.

The way the sentence was truncated is similar to the other dangling sentence ... No wreckage has been found, and no bodies, no life-belts or other evidence of disaster (have been found.)

I think both of these sentences could be left truncated, or dangling, whichever way one wants to look at it. But I also think the position of the comma needs to be shifted before the phrase "and in perfect weather".

I don't know. I might be all wet.

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The answer goes to May 5, 2009

下面取自一道改错题,里面有10个错误,如有兴趣大家请纠错。
One of the greatest mysteries of the world, for which scientists have so far been able to find any satisfactory explanation, is the Bermuda Triangle, sometimes called “the Graveyard of the Atlantic”. This is an area of the Western Atlantic between Bermuda and Florida, rough triangular in shape, where since 1845 at least a hundred ships and planes and over a thousand people have disappeared. No wreckage
... See more
下面取自一道改错题,里面有10个错误,如有兴趣大家请纠错。
One of the greatest mysteries of the world, for which scientists have so far been able to find any satisfactory explanation, is the Bermuda Triangle, sometimes called “the Graveyard of the Atlantic”. This is an area of the Western Atlantic between Bermuda and Florida, rough triangular in shape, where since 1845 at least a hundred ships and planes and over a thousand people have disappeared. No wreckage has been found, no bodies, no life-belts or other evidence of disaster. It is as if these planes, ships and people had never existed. In some cases a routine radio message has been received from aircraft reports everything in order a few minutes before all contacts are lost, in others a weak SOS message has been picked up and, in perfect weather, inexplicable references to fog and lost of bearings. In the extraordinary case of five U. S. navy planes disappearing on a routine mission from Florida, the rescue plane sent to locate it also vanished. There have been references to the curious white light which is a feature of the sea in part of this area, and it is interested to note that not only was this white light observed by the astronauts on their way to space, but also noted by Columbus, five centuries ago. That this white light has any connection with the mysterious disappearances is unknown – it is just another curious circumstance unexplained.
Many theories, some bordering at the fantastic, have been advanced to account for the disturbing incidents that occur in the area of the Bermuda Triangle. It has been asked whether these disappearances are caused by extraterrestrial activity, by some undiscovered source of energy, or by some dimension of time or space incomprehension to man. There is no answer and speculation continues as anxiety increases.

1. able应改为unable。
因为百慕大至今仍是个谜,所以当然找不到任何满意的解释。

2. rough应改为roughly。
副词roughly修饰形容词triangular。

3. other前应加any。
any other evidence意为“任何其他的证据”,any other常用于比较句型中。

4. reports应改为reporting,或在reports前加which。
该句可将reports改为reporting引导现在分词短语作定语,修饰message。或在动词reports前加which,构成定语从句。

5. lost应改为loss。
loss of sth.意为“失去某物”。loss为名词,而lose为动词,切勿混淆。

6. it应改为them。
them指代前面提及的“丢失的five planes”。

7. interested应改为interesting。
it is interesting to do sth.意为“做某事令人感兴趣”。

8. That应改为Whether。
虽说that也能引导主语从句,但该句中有“是否”之意,帮只能用whether。

9. at应改为on。
border on意为“近似于,接近”。

10. incomprehension应改为incomprehensible。
incomprehensible意为“无法令人理解的”。形容词短语在此作定语,修饰some dimension of time or space。
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Errors May 5, 2009

redred,

Thanks a lot for the "brain teaser", and now the solution key.

I don't think "other evidence" necessarily needs an "any" in front of it. It is very marginal to be considered a hard error. I think Yueyin pointed out some problems related to the proper use of past and present tense which are much more worthy of consideration than this so-called "error".

I personally didn't detect the misspelling/misuse of "loss". But looking back at the posts, Yu
... See more
redred,

Thanks a lot for the "brain teaser", and now the solution key.

I don't think "other evidence" necessarily needs an "any" in front of it. It is very marginal to be considered a hard error. I think Yueyin pointed out some problems related to the proper use of past and present tense which are much more worthy of consideration than this so-called "error".

I personally didn't detect the misspelling/misuse of "loss". But looking back at the posts, Yueyin definitely picked it up.

[Edited at 2009-05-05 12:00 GMT]
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
过去时和过去完成时 May 5, 2009

nigerose wrote:

wherestip wrote:

从逻辑上讲,下面这个句子应该用过去时和过去完成时。
In some cases a routine radio message has been received from aircraft reports everything in order a few minutes before all contacts are lost, in others a weak SOS message has been picked up and, in perfect weather, inexplicable references to fog and lost of bearings.

况且它后面这句用的就是过去时,那就更应该一致。
"In the extraordinary case of five U. S. navy planes disappearing on a routine mission from Florida, the rescue plane sent to locate them also vanished.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
was May 5, 2009

everything 后面的那个 was 也是应该加的,否则就不大通。"everything was in order" (一切正常)是 reporting 的宾语从句。而 "reporting everything in order" 的意思是“按次序报告一切”,不合乎逻辑,因为飞机与地面的通讯必须简单扼要、突出重点。

In some cases a routine radio message had been received from aircraft reporting everything was in order a few minutes before all contacts were lost, ...

[Edited at 2009-05-05 06:10 GMT]

nigerose
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
小结 May 5, 2009

redred规定的数字“10”限制了我们的思维。
其实我也注意到时态的问题,但一改就是好几个地方。
留意到了references短语却把lost漏掉了。
现在能接受了那两个dangling sentences,但还是觉得在正式文体中似乎不妥。
reporting everything in order 理解为reporting "everything in order" (双引号内为飞行员的答话),应该是正确的。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

校对/审需要怎样的资格?此例的"校"并不添花

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »